Notice: ob_end_clean() [ref.outcontrol]: failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/brossmac/falalalala.com/fireside/index.php on line 96
2010 Christmas Releases

FaLaLaLaLa Fireside

Author Topic: 2010 Christmas Releases  (Read 384883 times)

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
    • Stubbys House of Christmas
Re: 2010 Christmas Releases
« Reply #160 on: September 19, 2010, 10:05:10 PM »
OCTOBER 12

http://www.amazon.com/Joy-Season-Carolina-Brass/dp/B0042QTRRK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1284932925&sr=1-1

MONTEVERDI: Deus in Adjutorium from Vespers of 1610
SCHÜTZ: Hodie Christus Natus Est 
DIRKSEN: Welcome All Wonders
SUSA: Three Mystical Carols

Recorded live December 13, 2009.  Celebrate the season as the 22-voice NCMC Chamber Choir and the Chorale perform along with featured guest ensemble Carolina Brass in this delightful and festive concert.  An unforgettably warm and tasty recording.  From glorious antiphonal Baroque music to familiar carol classics, the whole family is sure to enjoy this holiday program!
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #161 on: September 20, 2010, 07:33:00 AM »
Christmas songs on non-Christmas albums.....

On October 25th, Sundazed Records will release on CD one of the most difficult to find gems of the psychedelic era--Lisa Miller's "Within Myself"--which, magically enough, closes with the song "The Loneliest Christmas Tree".

http://www.amazon.com/Within-Myself-Lisa-Miller/dp/B0040T77DU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284967201&sr=1-1

Product Description:
Simply put, Within Myself by Lisa Miller is the best psychedelic pop LP recorded by an 11-year-old former Motown star ever! The album was recorded in early '68 for the Canterbury label, produced by Motown West staff writers Kay and Helen Lewis and arranged by three of L.A.'s top hit-makers: Capitol's H.B. Barnum, Motown's Gene Page and Disney's Jack Eskew. Accompanied by the Wrecking Crew's finest players and featuring electronic flourishes by Moog pioneer Paul Beaver, Lisa takes seven originals and three covers (the Beatles, Lulu and Jefferson Airplane) to a magical, sunlit place at the very heart of the 1960's pop universe. The original album was released in a miniscule promotional run literally weeks before the Canterbury label ceased to exist. Until this Sundazed reissue only the most diligent psychedelic-pop collectors knew Within Myself existed. Newly mastered and featuring rare photos and interviews with the producer and Lisa herself, this Sundazed release restores a vital missing piece to the great jigsaw puzzle of Pop!

1. To Sir With Love
2. Little Bird
3. Mechanical Man
4. Be Like a Child
5. I'll Hit a Lucky Streak
6. Utopia
7. White Rabbit
8. Fool on the Hill
9. Beggar Boy
10. Within Myself
11. Love Is
12. The Loneliest Christmas Tree
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #162 on: September 20, 2010, 01:44:54 PM »
Rainbow Collections - Snowflake

A possible nice collection of christmas songs but without any real info, it's hard to say. Out november 2.

http://www.amazon.com/Snowflake-Rainbow-Collection/dp/B003U2T9DO/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1284784694&sr=1-2
« Last Edit: September 20, 2010, 01:49:39 PM by mr.christmas »
"Once you pass it's borders,
you can never return again."

Lyric from the song 'Toyland.' My meaning, once you find the spirit of Christmas, you can never leave it.

Offline TimNeely

• Elf, Second Class
« Reply #163 on: September 20, 2010, 08:03:37 PM »
SEPTEMBER 21

MANDY BARNETT - Winter Wonderland (Cracker Barrel exclusive)

(No link yet to Cracker Barrel's store, but one likely will be available soon.)

NEW CRACKER BARREL EXCLUSIVE MUSIC
SPREADS HOLIDAY CHEER
Mandy Barnett's Winter Wonderland connects listeners
to simpler times
LEBANON, Tenn.  (September 20, 2010) As you start thinking about holiday entertainment and stocking stuffers, you may want to consider some new music that provides all the authentic sounds of the  holiday traditions so many of us cherish. The newest CD in Cracker Barrel Old Country Store's exclusive music program is Winter Wonderland, the holiday album by acclaimed vocalist Mandy Barnett. In addition to the title track, holiday standards such as "Jingle Bell Rock," "A Holly Jolly Christmas," "Marshmallow World," "I'll Be Home For Christmas" and "White Christmas" are all included in this wonderful collection of holiday songs. Mandy has recaptured the Golden Era with the song choices and production on this album, along with a musical cast of veterans such as Harold Bradley, Lloyd Green, Louis Nunley, Gene Chrisman and Tony Migliore, who lent their talents to render an instant classic. You may care to know that guitarist Harold Bradley and back-up singer Louis Nunley appear on the original versions of several of these songs, including "Jingle Bell Rock"!  This album is now available, but only at Cracker Barrel.

"I wanted this album to be a classic and to remind people of the simpler times they had when they were children," said Mandy, in talking about how she approached recording this CD. "It was important to record these songs in an authentic fashion so people would connect with them emotionally," she added.

Mandy Barnett became well-known as a teenager when she starred as country music legend Patsy Cline in the stage show "Always...Patsy Cline" at the celebrated Ryman Auditorium in Nashville, TN. The performances were sold out nightly and received impressive reviews across the country. Mandy went on to record various albums, including one with legendary producer Owen Bradley. She is an active performer nationally and internationally, and is a frequent guest on the Grand Ole Opry.

Mandy is also a frequent guest at Cracker Barrel. "I am hooked on Uncle Herschel's Favorite," she says, referring to Cracker Barrel's signature breakfast offering. She also likes to order the Country Fried Chicken country dinner plate and macaroni n' cheese, which she calls real comfort food.

"Mandy has a strong, resonant voice that warms your heart as soon as you hear it," says Cracker Barrel's Vice President of Marketing Peter Keiser. "Cracker Barrel is very pleased to provide this high quality, pleasing CD for our guests' holiday entertainment and gift-giving."

Cracker Barrel's exclusive music program features numerous projects. In September of this year of this year, Cracker Barrel released the self-titled Rodney Atkins, which includes four #1 hits. In July, the company released Craig Morgan's That's Why- Collector's Edition, and in May the release of Wynonna's Love Heals debuted at #7 on the Billboard Magazine Top Country Albums chart. February's release of Dailey & Vincent Sing the Statler Brothers debuted at #1 on Billboard's Top Bluegrass Albums chart, where it spent nine weeks in the top position and 18 weeks overall in one of the three top positions since its release on February 1st.  Releases in 2009 included November's Songs of Love and Heartache by Alan Jackson, September's release of an exclusive new version of The Foundation by the Zac Brown Band, August's George Jones' release of A Collection Of My Best Recollection, May's release of Montgomery Gentry's For Our Heroes, which debuted at #5 on Billboard Magazine's Top Country Albums chart, and March's release of Dolly Parton's Collector's Edition of Backwoods Barbie, which debuted at #9 on that chart. Over the last few years, Cracker Barrel has released exclusive CDs with Bill Gaither, Kenny Rogers, Ricky Skaggs, Aaron Tippin, Alison Krauss & Union Station, Josh Turner, Amy Grant, Sara Evans, and Charlie Daniels.

---

My notes:

This is at least the fourth Cracker Barrel exclusive Christmas CD in recent years, and the second to include 100 percent exclusive material. The first was a Lonestar Christmas album in 2007, My Christmas List, which as far as I can tell, is no longer available and has not been reissued.  The other two I know about are an Amy Grant compilation, Songs of Christmas, and a collection of bluegrass Christmas music called Down Home for the Holidays, both from 2008. I don't think Cracker Barrel had any exclusives in 2009.

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #164 on: September 20, 2010, 08:49:42 PM »
Here's the link and tracklist for the Mandy Barnett CD above.  One second it wasn't there.  The next it was.  So you know it's fresh!

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/Product.asp?cat_id=34&sku=347756

1. Winter Wonderland
2. This Time Of The Year
3. Marshmallow World
4. A Holly Jolly Christmas
5. I'll Be Home For Christmas
6. Here Comes Santa Claus
7. All I Want For Christmas Is You
8. (There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays
9. White Christmas
10. Jingle Bell Rock
11. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
12. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #165 on: September 21, 2010, 12:28:37 AM »
This Mandy Barnett cd looks awesome. This has quickly moved up to the top of my list for christmas cd's to buy this year.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2010, 12:40:15 AM by mr.christmas »

Lyric from the song 'Toyland.' My meaning, once you find the spirit of Christmas, you can never leave it.

Offline Get2Me

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #166 on: September 21, 2010, 01:03:53 AM »
Here's the link and tracklist for the Mandy Barnett CD above.  One second it wasn't there.  The next it was.  So you know it's fresh!

http://shop.crackerbarrel.com/online/shopping/Product.asp?cat_id=34&sku=347756

1. Winter Wonderland
2. This Time Of The Year
3. Marshmallow World
4. A Holly Jolly Christmas
5. I'll Be Home For Christmas
6. Here Comes Santa Claus
7. All I Want For Christmas Is You
8. (There's No Place Like) Home For The Holidays
9. White Christmas
10. Jingle Bell Rock
11. Let It Snow! Let It Snow! Let It Snow!
12. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas

Wish they had some track clips to preview the album. That cover art is mildly atrocious, at least to me. I get that it's trying to be retro and quirky but it isn't done well. And if the music on the album doesn't fit the style of the cover art then that'll be a disappointment. Sorry, Scrooge here.

I listened to some clips of Mandy Barnett singing non-holiday songs and she does, indeed, have a powerful voice. But just how she interprets the old Christmas chestnuts, and in what style, remains to be seen...er...heard.
Peter Lo Ricco

"The secret of Christmas is not the things you do at Christmastime, but the Christmas things you do all year through."

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #167 on: September 21, 2010, 05:13:30 AM »
OCTOBER 26

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Low/dp/B0042L01S4/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1285045958&sr=1-3

1. Just Like Christmas
2. Long Way Around The Sea
3. Little Drummer Boy
4. If You Were Born Today
5. Blue Christmas
6. Silent Night
7. Taking Down The Tree
8. One Special Gift

First time vinyl release for this classic LOW holiday recording. We would suggest that few bands from an ostensibly "indie rock" background should release Christmas music, if not out of respect for the holiday or material then at least out of a sense of self-esteem. Low, however, were made for this. Their attention to musical detail combined with the heavenly vocal harmonies of ALAN SPARHAWK and MIMI PARKER are perfectly attuned to both traditional carols like Silent Night and more contemporary tunes such as Blue Christmas. Christmas contains a selection of seasonal songs, including four originals by the band, mostly recorded at Low's 20° Below studio in Duluth, MN. If You Were Born Today and Blue Christmas were released as a 7-inch single in 1997 on the English Wurlitzer Jukebox label, while Taking Down The Tree is taken from a 1998 compilation of live recordings issue by the Dutch VPRO radio station.

THE first, and possibly only (so far), "Classic" Christmas album to yet come from the Indie scene and era, "Christmas" by Low is coming to vinyl for the first time ever.  (The CD has been out-of-print for awhile, now.)  First released in 1999, this soft and simple record of only 8 tracks somehow manages to sound fresh and "Just Like Christmas" every time I put it on.  And speaking of "Just Like Christmas", there's not a doubt in my mind that that song will be a standard for decades to come.  For me, certainly, it conveys every ounce the Christmas joy of, say, "Marshmellow World"...and then some.  It never gets old.  And I've yet to hear a bad cover of it.

Adam Kennedy, posting to BBC's Music Blog last year, explained it much better than I ever could.
The inherent theology behind Christmas (the event) dictates that only rare artists with prominent religious leanings truly seem to capture the spirit of the season in music. Put simply, they need to believe for you to follow suit. The decade-old Christmas EP from famously Mormon 'slowcore' pioneers Low is one prime indie-rock triumph. Seamlessly interchanging originals with standards, they mine every emotion associated with the time of year - instead of mindless joy - with beguilingly childlike innocence. For butterflies-jangling expectation, see Just Like Christmas; Blue Christmas is laced with the melancholy of a sometimes-deflating month; Taking Down the Tree distils empty post-12 days lows when cold New Year months are all that remains to anticipate. "Despite the commerce involved," Low collectively chirp in the sleeve-notes, "we hope you will consider this our gift to you." Faced with such timelessly sweet sentiments, baby Jesus himself might have shed a tear.

9 years later, in 2008, Low released a Christmas 45 (still available through Sub Pop) which, while OK in it's own right, showed that the band had lost some of the innocence Adam Kennedy spoke of.  Low's "Christmas" is a perfect example of the right people recording the right music at exactly the right time in their lives.  If you've missed it up until now, I give it my highest recommendation (you know, for whatever that's worth to anyone).  Admittedly, I hasten to add, it is definitely not Bing Crosby.  In fact, it's sort of an antidote for folks who've overdosed on Crosby and Como.  For non-vinyl types, the MP3 remains available through Amazon and other on-line digital music vendors.

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #168 on: September 21, 2010, 02:22:35 PM »
The McAllisters - Once Upon A December's Eve

EZ listening/classical styled christmas release form back on april 6. Some nice vocals and "real" band.orchestra music.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8184861

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #169 on: September 21, 2010, 02:28:15 PM »
Joe - Home Is The Essence Of Christmas

This r&b artist's christmas cd comes out on november 9.

There was a 6 track christmas cd by Joe released last year (2009) and I believe a 10 track digital only release last year which is under the same name as this new cd. This cd is therefore probably the 10 track digital release of last year and would mark the first time all 10 tracks will be available in cd form. But for a whopping over $40.00 as this is an import, I'll be passing on this one.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8305465

Copyright © FaLaLaLaLa Fireside