Notice: ob_end_clean() [ref.outcontrol]: failed to delete buffer. No buffer to delete in /home/brossmac/falalalala.com/fireside/index.php on line 95
2010 Christmas Releases

FaLaLaLaLa Fireside

Author Topic: 2010 Christmas Releases  (Read 266670 times)

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
    • Stubbys House of Christmas
Re: 2010 Christmas Releases
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2010, 05:50:22 AM »
SEPTEMBER 28

http://www.amazon.com/Winters-Songs-Windham-Hill-Christmas/dp/B003ZW0MQW/ref=sr_1_46?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282628901&sr=1-46

1.   Joy To the World - Steve Erquiaga
2.   Angels We Have Heard On High - Alex de Grassi
3.   Circle of Joy - Lisa Lynne
4.   Patapan - Barbara Higbie
5.   Greensleeves - Steve Erquiaga
6.   Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas - Liz Story
7.   Compleat Nutcracker Sweet, The - Philip Aaberg
8.   December Morning - Jim Brickman
9.   Dove's Return, The - Aine Minogue
10.   Salve Regina - Theresa Schroeder-Sheker

At one time, Windham Hill was The quintessential New Age label.  Founded in 1976 by folk guitarist Will Ackerman, ostensibly as a vehicle for his own music, Windham Hill just happened to be in the right place at the right time and, with their attention to sound quality, recording techniques and quality vinyl pressings, the label rode a wave they did not begin to become the dominant label within the genre.  The New Age movement, itself, is actually quite old--dating back at least to 1809 when William Blake coined the term.  As a musical genre, New Age origins are far fresher--dating back to the early 70s, which saw both the early development of synthesizers and a trend towards ambient jazz, exemplified by artists such as Paul Winter and Brian Eno.  Perhaps it was the merging of jazz and folk that propelled Windham Hill to the heights they achieved, but, regardless, achieve them they did.  George Winston's "December" is still considered both a classic holiday album and a classic of the New Age genre.

The market briefly flooded with New Age releases until the wave eventually receded from dominance.  There's still plenty of New Age music being made, of course, but Windham Hill no longer records music.  Their catalog was purchased by Sony.  And Sony just keeps finding new ways of combining and packaging the music within the rich Windham Hill catalog.  So you'll find nothing new, here.  And yet, there is still something quite satisfying about a Windham Hill collection.  They may not have invented the genre but, for my money, nobody does it better.  Clear and crisp as a winter's morning.
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2010, 07:56:33 AM »
OCTOBER 12

http://www.amazon.com/Holly-Happy-Days-Indigo-Girls/dp/B0041J69PQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1283403218&sr=1-1

1.  I Feel The Christmas Spirit
2.  It Really Is (A Wonderful Life)
3.  O Holy Night
4.  Your Holiday Song (click to hear!)
5.  I'll Be Home For Christmas
6.  Mistletoe
7.  Peace Child
8.  The Wonder Song
9.  In The Bleak Midwinter
10. Happy Joyous Hanukkah
11. Angels We Have Heard On High
12. There's Still My Joy

Grammy award-winning duo Indigo Girls are set to release their first-ever holiday album, Holly Happy Days, on October 12th. This 12-song holiday collection features new, original songs like "Your Holiday Song," "Happy Joyous Hanukah," "There's Still My Joy," and "The Wonder Song" alongside holiday classics and favorites including "Oh Holy Night," "I'll Be Home For Christmas," and "Angels We Have Heard On High."

I remember seeing the Indigo Girls sing "In The Bleak Midwinter" on a 1990 A&E special and it was gorgeous.  Hopefully, they'll recreate that moment here.  Reportedly, they recruited a group of Bluegrass players for the album, so we'll see.  The song selection looks terrific, overall, with a goodly number of originals and even a Hanukkah track.  One of the must haves of this year's crop.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010, 04:55:47 AM by stubbysfears »
"You got to live your life, bay-BAY, like Christmas is everyday!"--Junk Yard Saints ("Christmas Is Everyday")

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #82 on: August 25, 2010, 07:30:17 PM »
ADRIENNE PIERCE - WINTER

A rock sounding cd, it seems. Coming out august 24. Only 6 songs so more of an ep type of release. Not sure if it's completely a christmas release but christmasy, I suppose.

http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=7990564
You might want to add this to the first post!

It's stock, it's catalog.  It's not new.  It's not a re-issue.  The CD was hard-copy released in 2008.  As with all "stock" product, it was "released" in 2009, as well, and "released" again this year.  In theory it will be "released" again next year, unless it's deleted.  It is a fine album, but it isn't a new release.
Then this defeats the purpose of this thread. How? It's currently not available. Some may be looking for it who missed it last year or the previous year. We now know there is a future release date. I thought the purpose of this thread was to bring 'any' new release, reissue, etc... anything that has an official release of some sort 'this year' was to be mentioned. By mentioning this cd, people who are looking for it (as I mentioned above) can 'now' know about it being available again and can 'now' look forward to the purchase (and can even pre-order it). And the theory that it'll be released again next year is irrelevant. What matters is this year and the 2010 thread.

So I should list the Beach Boys every year?  Mariah Carey?  Bob Dylan?  A Very Special Christmas, Volumes 1-7?  The Mannheim Steamroller catalog?  And every other "stock" release every year?  It's going to be a very dense list that way.  The purpose of the thread, I thought, was to have an easy to follow listing of new releases.  I'm not even entirely sold on the idea of having re-issues listed--they're clogging things up and making what could have been a simple list into a much harder to follow maze.  But then, I told myself, there are going to be the re-issues like The Hollyridge Strings that should definitely be there.  John Tesh?  Not so much.  But, to be fair, I included reissues of more recent vintage.  Adrienne Pierce's CD is neither new nor a re-issue.  Adrienne Pierce's CD has never not been available.  The reason it's listed as "new" is because, this year, she has a distributor (Burnside).  Previously, she did her own distribution.  But you could always get the album through her site or through CD Baby or Borders or Amazon or CD Universe (even if there was a shipping delay on the last two while they got it from her).  Something having "a release date" doesn't mean much.  The latest Koch/E1 distribution catalog lists the following as "being released" on October 12 (that's when their "stock" or "catalog" product will be delivered to stores ordering same):
Bluegrass Christmas/Charlie Daniels
Jerry Christmas/Jerry Douglass
This Christmas/Imani Winds
Christmas Presence/Gloria Gaynor
Christmas Eyes/Bob & Hilary James
Merry Christmas To You/Wayne Newton
A Dipset Christmas/Jim Jones
Christmas Regrooved 2/Various
Comfort and Joy/John Cowan
Christmas From The Heart/Kenny Rogers
Christmas In Swingtime/Harry Allen
A Sesame Street Christmas
A Charlie Brown Christmas Piano Tribute
Mariah Carey's Merry Christmas Smooth Jazz Tribute
Trans Siberian Orchestra Christmas Piano Tribute
The Night Before Christmas 2/Sounds of Blackness
Christmas Grass
Christmas Grass 2
Christmas Grass 3
Chanukah At Grover's Corner/David Grover
An Americana Christmas/Vasser Clements
Christmas Present...And Past/Paul Revere & The Raiders
Christmas Rhapsody/John Bayless
All I Hope For Christmas/Nelson Rangell
Christmas-Our Gift To You/Mom & Pop Winans and Friends
Christmas Time With Oleta/Oleta Adams
Christmas With The Smithereens/Smithereens
Baby Its Cold Outside/Holy Cole
Watching The Snow/Michael Franks
The New Voice Of Christmas/Ryland Angel
Christmas Crooners/Various
Christmas Chill/Various
We Wish You A Hairy Christmas/Various
A Very Soulful Christmas/Various
Hung For The Holidays/William Hung
Berry Merry Christmas/Strawberry Shortcake
Eloise At Christmastime
The Christmas Album/Tweenies
Happy Holidays, Love Barney
Pokemon Christmas Bash
Christmas Regrooved/Various
Christmas In Texas/Dale Watson
Merry Christmas To All/Charlie Daniels
On A Christmas Journey/Johnny Paycheck, Bobby Helms
Country Christmas Traditions/Various
Snowfall/Steve Oliver
A Star Studded Christmas/Various
A Wacky Christmas/Various
Joy/Melissa Manchester
Christmas Carols For Solo Guitar/Charlie Byrd
Christmas Songs/Anuna
Something Warm For Christmas/Jefferey Osborne
Classic Rockin' Christmas/Various
It's A Hi-5 Christmas/Hi-5
My Favourite Christmas/Robin Gibb
Sing The Songs Of Christmas/Guy Lombardo
Merry From Lena/Lena Horne
The Story Of Christmas/Tennessee Ernie Ford
The Joyful Season/Jo Stafford
Count Your Blessings/Barbara Cook
A Cabaret Christmas/Various
Sweet Sounds Of Christmas/Patti Page
The Music Of Christmas/The Hollywood Bowl Symphony Orchestra
Holiday Pops/Peter Nero & The Philly Pops

There's another 19 (I counted) PAGES, but my fingers are tired.  And that's just Koch.  Imagine what the lists from Sony and Capitol and Universal look like.  And you want all that under the listing for just October 12 on the lead post?  Now THAT would defeat the purpose of the list.  You want to make a distinction based on the fact that Adrienne Pierce is getting a release date on Amazon and/or CD Universe?  That's only because she has a new distributor which means those outlets have to make a new entry for their own record keeping purposes.  I'm not willing to make that distinction.  If I were going to make exceptions like that, I'd much rather make exceptions for interesting stuff I missed last year, like Merry Christmas Y'All by Back At The Ranch (western swing) or Coming Home For The Holidays by Aaron Lindsey (Christian Jazz/Soul), but, should those get a "new release date" this year, I won't be listing them either.  I put a lot of time, effort and research into doing this.  I think its great that you and others pitch in, because I do miss a lot.  But with any endevour of this size and scope, there has to be a set of objective criteria that are sometimes going to be subjective in application.  Just as the King has calls to make regarding what can and can not be shared (though his calls have much more serious consequences, should he call it wrong), I make calls on what to include or not include on this new release list.  On something like Adrienne Pierce (or, on another recent example, Michael Martin Murphy), I make a concerted effort to determine whether something is actually new and whether or not it's been out of print.  Sometimes, I make a mistake and someone will have to point out to me that something's a reissue or catalog and I didn't know it.  It happens.  Personally, I'd rather not list anything old that hasn't been out of print for at least 20 years, but I've been listing even short term OOP, generally.  Adrienne Pierce's CD has never been OOP.  It hasn't even been around long enough to ever be OOP.  If someone wants the Adrienne Pierce CD (which I, again, point out is a truly fine and wonderful album that anyone would be happy to own), they don't have to pre-order and wait; they can head over to CD Baby right now.  It's in stock and, hey, order more than one copy today and get 30% off!  Today.  Right now.

And, before the issue is raised, I won't be listing Tunecore releases, either.  Tunecore is a service Indie artists use to "release" and place their albums with Amazon and the like.  Some of it is actually good stuff.  Most is pretty undistinguished and forgettable.  Some of it is truly awful.  If you record yourself singing in the shower, you can get Tunecore to "release" it and place it on Amazon for you.  But my real issue with Tunecore is that they will potentially "release" hundreds of "albums" (it's all digital and CD-R) of dubious merit that will just clog up the list.  So, no, don't look for something like Christmas With A Twist by Stephen Kilpatrick in the lead post, either.  Mention anything you like in the actual thread.  Or give it its own thread.  But I'm really trying to keep that lead post in this thread as lean as possible, while still being as inclusive as possible.  Because the purpose I set out to fulfill was to make it simple to find the actual "new" releases.  And to find stuff, you've got to be able to find stuff.  I'm wading through 40+ pages of Koch Christmas releases (as example) to find the "new" releases so that visitors to this forum won't have to wade through a 40 page "new release" list that's actually a whole lot of catalog and just a little "new".

As long as we've waded into a meta discussion, I might as well mention that the reason I favor Amazon over CD Universe is that Amazon pays a better "site referral" rate than CD Universe (which pays almost nothing); that's if the King decides he'd like to take advantage of same...I make nothing either way.

I would "personally" always say mention anything that is being rereleased/reissued with a current date of the current year - so anything, for example, that has a "pre-order" attached to the listing should be added since their rerelease/reissue is official. You see, most cd's are either always available or listed as a backorder so they never have another year attached to them if in stock year long or when they get back in stock, only their original year of release (at least in most cases).

Many releases that get "official" rerelease/reissue status year-after-year are often vastly different than "other versions." For example, "Christmas With The Stars," if you click on the "other versions" tab at the link I will provide, you will see that just the very first two "other versions (other cd's)" have a different songlist and different cd cover. There are others I could give you examples for, too. The link for the above example is: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8276656

In any case, this is your thread and so I will respect your decisions with it. I guess we just see differently in some things.  :mellow:

« Last Edit: August 25, 2010, 07:37:55 PM by mr.christmas »
"Once you pass it's borders,
you can never return again."

Lyric from the song 'Toyland.' My meaning, once you find the spirit of Christmas, you can never leave it.

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #83 on: August 25, 2010, 08:30:54 PM »

Many releases that get "official" rerelease/reissue status year-after-year are often vastly different than "other versions." For example, "Christmas With The Stars," if you click on the "other versions" tab at the link I will provide, you will see that just the very first two "other versions (other cd's)" have a different songlist and different cd cover. There are others I could give you examples for, too. The link for the above example is: http://www.cduniverse.com/productinfo.asp?pid=8276656

In any case, this is your thread and so I will respect your decisions with it. I guess we just see differently in some things.  :mellow:

That's CD Universe being CD Universe (Amazon is almost as bad).  They just put albums with the same title under "other versions".  The "Christmas With The Stars" coming out this year is a completely new British rock/pop comp (albeit with much the same content as so many other British rock comps) while the older "Christmas With The Stars" was a domestically issued Traditional comp.  OTOH, I've seen the promotional info on "Christmas With The Rat Pack" and they're using the same cover and track list as the older one.  Could the promotional info be wrong or could something change between now and release?  Yeah, it could.  For example, the title of Daniel O'Donnell's upcoming release has changed since the initial promotional info was released (from "Season's Greetings" to "O Holy Night"), and the new "Christmas With The Stars" has Elton John listed on the cover but not in the track list, but, generally, a label is not going to knowingly send false information to retailers they want to carry their product--though the early planning and ordering nature of the season makes some discrepancies inevitable.

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #84 on: August 25, 2010, 08:34:54 PM »
SEPTEMBER 21

http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Stars/dp/B003ZZAXPE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1282768115&sr=1-2

1. Do They Know It's Christmas? - Band Aid
2. Fairy Tale Of New York - Ronan Keating, Maire Brennan
3. I Wanna Kiss You So [Christmas In A Nutshell] - Girls Aloud
4. Run Rudolph Run - Hanson
5. It's Christmas Time - Status Quo
6. Deck The Halls - McFly
7. Feels Like Christmas - The Feeling
8. Santa Baby - The Pussycat Dolls
9. Jingle Bells - The Puppini Sisters
10. White Christmas - Bing Crosby
11. As Long As There's Christmas - Michael Ball, Elaine Paige
12. A Winter's Tale - David Essex
13. A Spaceman Came Travelling - Chris De Burgh
14. One Little Christmas Tree - Stevie Wonder
15. The Christmas Song - James Brown
16. Little Christmas Tree - Michael Jackson
17. My Favorite Things - The Supremes
18. Winter Melody - Donna Summer
19. It May Be Winter Outside (But In My Heart It's Spring) - Love Unlimited
20. Christmas Rappin' - Kurtis Blow

An Import "hits" comp from the UK.  Elton John on the cover, but not the track list?  What's that all about, then?

Offline mr.christmas

• Santa's Little Helper
« Reply #85 on: August 26, 2010, 03:41:21 AM »

That's CD Universe being CD Universe (Amazon is almost as bad).  They just put albums with the same title under "other versions".  The "Christmas With The Stars" coming out this year is a completely new British rock/pop comp (albeit with much the same content as so many other British rock comps) while the older "Christmas With The Stars" was a domestically issued Traditional comp.  OTOH, I've seen the promotional info on "Christmas With The Rat Pack" and they're using the same cover and track list as the older one.  Could the promotional info be wrong or could something change between now and release?  Yeah, it could.  For example, the title of Daniel O'Donnell's upcoming release has changed since the initial promotional info was released (from "Season's Greetings" to "O Holy Night"), and the new "Christmas With The Stars" has Elton John listed on the cover but not in the track list, but, generally, a label is not going to knowingly send false information to retailers they want to carry their product--though the early planning and ordering nature of the season makes some discrepancies inevitable.
Oh yeah, the cd stores put out releases with the same title as "other versions." That's why it's sometimes hard to say if a release is really new or just a rerelease/reissue of the same from previous seasons unless, as you mentioned, you were able to find out info on something (Christmas With The Rat Pack) that confirms it not to be new or to be new. Sometimes we just need to wait for more info to be revealed or for the actual cd to get released. And as you mentioned, the actual cd companies that manufacture the cd's can occasionally change. I've seen that, too, on rare occasions.

Just to go back to the Adrienne Pierce cd since that was actually what started this all off, I was aware that it was available at cd baby when I originally posted the cd as a 2010 release but I wonder if it's copies left from the original pressing and older company or if she was allowed to sell the new one in advance (as this is often done) but the "official" public release (rerelease) was on the date I had provided, hence why I consider it to be a 2010 offering. Regardless, it doesn't really matter anymore since I think people know all about it now. LOL

BTW, as for CD Universe and Amazon, which one is better.... I personally choose CD Universe as I find the prices to be often cheaper and this includes the postage. I also find CD Universe to be quicker with the shipping. This is also true with www.cdconnection.com (the cheaper prices, shipping, and faster shipping) but I don't hardly ever mention CD Connection here since they don't advertise future releases and therefore don't offer pre-ordering. Also bear in mind, I'm in Canada so shipping speeds and prices are different for me than you (providing you're in the US) and so I'm not sure if the cheaper prices and faster shipping would apply to you. That said, the "Christmas With The Stars" pre-order is cheaper at Amazon than CD Universe so Amazon's making me out ot be a liar. LOL

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 03:49:28 AM by mr.christmas »
"Once you pass it's borders,
you can never return again."

Lyric from the song 'Toyland.' My meaning, once you find the spirit of Christmas, you can never leave it.

Offline The King of Jingaling

• Administrator
  • Santa's Little Helper
    • FaLaLaLaLa
« Reply #86 on: August 26, 2010, 06:27:46 AM »
I think I bought my first CD over the internet from CDConnection.  I think it was before the WWW.  It might have been via gopher!

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #87 on: August 26, 2010, 09:55:37 PM »
AUGUST 24

So what's Chrissie Hynde of The Pretenders been up to lately?  The last time we spoke about her prominently around these parts was her Christmas duet with Ray Davies, "Postcard From London" and, before that, in discussing a 2008 digital download, when The Pretenders released a 4 song holiday EP.

Chrissie's new side project is a collaboration with JP Jones--JP, Chrissie & The Fairground Boys--and it seems she's still got a little Christmas spirit, at least enough for a bonus track on the Expanded edition of The Fairground Boys' debut, Fidelity!, which was released this past Tuesday.  It's a killer album.  It really is.  I'd say it's a bit like a cross between The Pretenders at their very peak crossed with "Born To Run" era Bruce Springsteen.  It struck me as that good!  

The Christmas track is "Christmas Soon" and it might be the best Christmas Rock track I've heard since The Killers released "Great Big Sled".  "Christmas Soon" features more JP than Chrissie (though she gets her solo spot), but it's just a great Rock record, IMO--one I think you're going to want in your collection, if Rock Christmas songs are something you collect.

http://www.amazon.com/Fidelity/dp/B003ZZSFRC/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1282799522&sr=1-4

Note: The Expanded edition is available in hard copy form, but Amazon doesn't have the song samples up on that listing, so I've used the mp3 link.

:hohoho:   :hohoho:   :hohoho:   :hohoho:   :hohoho:

The new album from Isobel Campbell (Belle & Sebastian) and Mark Lanegan (Screaming Trees, The Gutter Twins), just out this week, includes the Christmas track "Time Of The Season" (not the Zombies' song).  Maybe it's Lanegan's voice, but it sounds vaguely Leonard Cohen-ish to me (or perhaps like a Tom Waits/Claudine Longet duet).  In any case, for me, the highlight of the album "Hawk" remains "Come Undone", which I find myself unable to stop playing.

http://www.amazon.com/Hawk-Isobel-Campbell/dp/B003STL0E0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1281500762&sr=1-1

« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 09:59:32 PM by stubbysfears »

Offline stubbysfears

• Santa's Little Helper
  • Ho, Ho, Uh-oh!
« Reply #88 on: August 26, 2010, 10:42:08 PM »
AUGUST 24

http://www.amazon.com/Wont-Spend-Christmas-Digitally-Remastered/dp/B0040IFZOE/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1282861375&sr=1-33

1. Deck The Halls   
  2. Have Yourself A Merry Little Christmas   
  3. Good King Wenceslas   
  4. White Christmas   
  5. Silver Bells   
  6. I'll Be Home For Christmas   
  7. The First Noel   
  8. O Little Town Of Bethlehem   
  9. Silent Night   
10. It Came Upon A Midnight Clear   
11. Hark The Herald Angels Sing   
12. O Come All Ye Faithful

While most of the digital reissues we've seen so far this year are albums that have been available on CD at some point or other, I do believe this is an exception.  Sadly proving Pete's point, this could have made a wonderful hard copy reissue for a Collectors Choice or a DRG.  Even as an LP, this one was quite hard to find.  But, for the moment at least, we'll have to make do with this digital only reissue, it seems.  Even at that, its worth your time.  Not only is it a wonderful traditional holiday album first issued some 50+ years ago in 1958 on the grand old Everest label, but the tracks have been digitally remastered, so you've got that going for you...which is nice.  
« Last Edit: August 26, 2010, 10:46:08 PM by stubbysfears »

Offline Ernie

• Santos L. Halper
  • Santa's Little Helper
  • What happens when I type here?
    • Ernie (Not Bert)
« Reply #89 on: August 26, 2010, 10:58:07 PM »
AUGUST 24

http://www.amazon.com/Wont-Spend-Christmas-Digitally-Remastered/dp/B0040IFZOE/ref=sr_1_33?ie=UTF8&s=dmusic&qid=1282861375&sr=1-33

Oooh, that's a good one!  An actual vinyl copy of this one has eluded me for all these years.  And it looks like I still won't be able to get a hard copy if it's download only.  Oh, well, I've still got a few stray Dorothy Collins tracks that I can enjoy.  I've even got a track or two for the upcoming holiday season up my sleeve...  ;)
e

When on the World Wide Web, visit Ernie (Not Bert)

Copyright © FaLaLaLaLa Fireside